Vietspices Search

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tương Chấm Nem Nướng (Vietnamese Grilled Pork Orange Dipping Sauce)



I've been experimenting with the dipping sauce for nem nướng, which means everyone in the family has to eat nem nướng every other day.

After a few attempts of making Tương Chấm for Nem Nướng, my husband finally gave it a thumbs up. Hopefully, he didn't say that so he doesn't have to eat Nem Nướng again .

This delicious sauce is full of nutrition as it's a blend of sweet rice and shrimps are the main ingredients. I love the vivid, beautiful orange color that comes from the paprika and partly from the crab paste. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family.

* * *
*
RECIPE: Tương Chấm Nem Nướng
 
*
Ingredients


1/2 cup Nếp (sweet rice), rinsed a few times until the water is cleared
2 cups Water
1 small can (2 cups) Chicken Broth
30 small Shrimps, shelled, deveined
1 tablespoon Garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Crab Paste with Soya Bean Oil
 (I prefer the jar shown in the picture as it's less pungent than the jar of shrimp or crab paste labeled as Gia Vị Nấu Bún Riêu)
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 teaspoon White Ground Pepper, optional
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1-2 teaspoons Paprika
3 tablespoons Sugar
*
Cooking Sweet Rice
 
 
In a small pot, bring water, chicken broth and sweet rice to boil. Then reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes or until soft. 

 
 *
Preparing Shimps

add garlic to shrimp bowl

In a small bowl, combine shrimps and the remaining ingredients (sugar, ground pepper if used, garlic powder,garlic, fish sauce, salt,  paprika and crab paste).  Mix well.   Set aside.
*
Making Sauce
 
 
After sweet rice is cooked, add shrimps.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat. 
 
 
 
Using a food processor to process cooked sweet rice mixture until smooth. 
 
 
Pour it back into a pot and bring it to boil. If the sauce looks thick, add a little bit more of water. Turn off the heat.
 
 
Now, it's time to dip the nem nướng roll into the delicious, tasty and glowing orange dipping sauce.
Squeezed lime juice to add the satisfactory tangy flavor to your sauce.


Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. Hi Loan,
    What is the weight for the sweet rice or pork? I think your measurement of 1 cup is quite large for our cup size in Australia.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't have a scale to weigh the sweet rice or ground pork for you. But 1 cup is about 1 rice bowl (che'n an com). Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confused with what to do w/ the shrimp once it is in the boiling water. Do we add that w/ the pork and puree it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add shrimps in the cooked sweet rice pot not boiling water. Then purée shrimps cooked sweet rice and pork together . I will revise this recipe the next time I make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thanks! I will definitely try this to surprise my family. I searched high and low and only found recipe's for nuoc mam and peanut sauce. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It is exactly what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chi oi cho e hoi. Nau gao xoi len roi bo tom vo hay nau com chin roi moi bo tom vo vay chi? Roi luc xay com voi thit heo co xay luon tom kg? Thanks chi

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have a recipe for canh chua (catfish sour soup)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Loan - Love your recipes. Just a quick FYI, there's a copy of your Nuoc Cham Nem Nuong out there, from text to pictures at this link:
    http://wegottaeat.com/liannguyen/recipes/nem-nuong-sauce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite a few people told me about the website http://wegottaeat.com/liannguyen/recipes/nem-nuong-sauce
    that copy my recipe from text to pictures and put on her blog. Since my recipes are not copyrighted so I don't think I can do anything about it :-(
    Thanks for letting know. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Loan, Thanks for doing all the hard work in working out the recipe. I can't help but noticed that there is no sour content in your recipe. If I'm not mistaken the Brodard sauce does taste slightly tangy. Just a small
    observation. What do you think? Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been so long since the last time I had brodard Nem Nuong. I can't recall what it tastes like. But this Saturday a friend of mine will make brodard Nem nuong for dinner. I will make sure to study the sauce :-).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just modified the Nem Nuong Sauce. If you like the tangy taste in the sauce, I think you can squeeze a litte bit of lime/lemon juice in the sauce. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will try it without first though after and if required will put a bit of lime juice. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Can this sauce be pre made & freeze it, then use it a week later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can the sauce be pre made & frozen, use it a week later ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sure. divide your sauce into small containers then freeze them. Use within a few weeks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you heard of the version with liver in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it before . My sister-in-law's mom made it and served it with nem nuong.

      Delete
  18. Hi, Annette, I tried to look for the pork item in the ingredient lists but not sucessful, was it something you add on later ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made some changes on this recipe a few weeks ago. I eliminated the ground pork. Ground pork shouldn't be in the ingredients list. I must have forgotten to modify the printable recipe. Will fix it when I have a chance. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing your recipe~ I followed your recipe exactly as stated and the result: dee-lish! This is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I just happened to cross by your webpg, and I'm so happy to find out that we both share something so much in common, which is we love to experiment in making our food perfect or at least achieving the restaurants' look-alike quality. I am also obsessed with this sauce and have been searching so hard for the receipe but couldn't find it. I came up with the same idea last week and tested it with flour but not rice, and I also cooked with pork b/c i noticed that when eating the sauce at some restaurants, i did see some meat in there. I wonder if your sauce has any pork in it? or did you already tried it with pork and decided that it tasted better without pork??

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did experiment it with 1/4 cup of ground pork added to this recipe and it was pretty good. Then I tried it again without ground pork and it tasted as good as the first one. So i removed the ground pork ingredient from this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do you by any chance have the recipe for the actual Nem Nuong Cuon spring roll and how you made it? Such as how you marinated the pork meat and what ingredients went in it and etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the recipe for nem nuong :
      http://vietspices.blogspot.com/2010/10/nem-nuong-vietnamese-grilled-pork.html?m=1

      Delete
  24. Chi Loan,
    where did you get your recipe from or it's from your own creation? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG thanks for your recipe chi. My husband wants to eat nem nuong next week but I don't know how to make the sauce so I was thinking about making the peanut sauce as a substitute. Your recipe seems kind of complicated for me but I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete