Vietspices Search

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bánh Khoai Mì Nướng (Cassava Cake)


While a friend and I were shopping, she suddenly had a "craving" for Bánh Khoai Mì Nướng which is a simple and delicious cake made from fresh cassava root. So the very next day, I went and bought 4 bags of grated cassava root. I used 2 bags to make one cake to satisfy her "craving".  The other 2 bags I planned to have her take home and try it out on her own. But as soon as the cake hits the table, it was gone. A few other friends were interested in learning how to make it as well so we used the other 2 bags.

Bánh khoai mì nướng has a great aroma filled with sweet and buttery tones from the cassava and coconut mix; it has a chewy consistency and the brown crust is to die for.


Cassava root is very rich in starch. Similar to sweet potatoes, it contains significant amounts of calcium, dietary fiber, iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. Dietary fiber has been associated with lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases, colon cancer, and helping control diabetes. A recent study conducted in the Philippines showed that cassava significantly decreased total cholesterol levels, decreased low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (considered as “bad” cholesterol), and may help lower triglyceride levels due to its high total dietary fiber content. Other studies show that cassava may help support the nervous system and help alleviate stress, anxiety and irritable bowel syndrome. It's been reported that cassava leaves can be used to treat many ailments such as headaches, fever, diarrhea, and help increase stamina. 


After researching the health benefits of cassava, I think it makes me want to feed my family cassava root and sweet potato everyday :-). 

Frozen grated cassava is availabe at most Asian supermarkets. If you want to make it right away after you bring it home from the store, just soak the package in water for about 15 minutes and it should be thawed and ready to use. Make sure to place the package in a big ziploc bag before soaking in water. This will prevent water gets inside the cassava bags since most of the frozen cassava bags have tiny holes on them and they're hard to see. 
*
RECIPE: Bánh Khoai Mì Nướng

Ingredients

2 bags frozen grated cassava
1/2 can condensed milk 
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups coconut milk 
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 teaspoon oil, for greasing the baking pan
*
Directions

Preheat the oven to 375oF. Put oven rack on the 2nd lowest level of oven. Grease a baking pan well. Put it in the oven to keep it hot.
*
Preparing Cassava
Squeezed out the liquid if any.  If using fresh cassava, remove skin and grate it or cut into small thinly pieces then process it in a food processor until fine. Squeeze the juice out of the grated cassava. Discard the juice. 
*
Mixing Cassava
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together.  Remove a baking pan from oven and pour the mixture into it.  Give it a shake to even the top out. 

Put it back into the oven and bake for about 40 minutes.  Turn up the temperature to 400 F and bake for another 5 minutes or until the top turns golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

*
Presentation


Enjoy a slice of Bánh Khoai Mì Nướng with a cup of your favorite hot tea or coffee!
*

25 comments:

  1. Hi Annette!

    I am new to your blog.

    I tried this recipe.. (i wanted to make something for mommy). And she loved it!!!!

    I used 2 bags frozen cassava, when i made it the first time.

    today, mom bought 2 fresh cassava for me to make. i was wondering.. how much of fresh cassava do i need to make it?

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, there is 16 oz (1 pound) in each bag of frozen cassava. I am thinking after you grated the fresh cassava and squeezed out the liquid, measure about 2 pounds for this recipe. Let me know how it turns out with fresh cassava. Have fun baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If using frozen cassava, is it necessary to run it through water to "rinse" it before squeezing water out? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried your recipe and my mom and aunts loved it. They did mentioned to about adding eggs. Is that another version?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if there is a recipe of banh khoai mi nuong with eggs in it. But there is a version of banh khoai mi nuong with mung bean paste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susanze, thank you for leaving me a comment. While I was reading it, I accident deleted it. Would you kindly post another comment so I can public it? Thanks Susanze.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The leaves of the yuca are toxic to humans. Loads of cyanide. The roots are available in your grocery store. They have a bitter taste due to a "low" concentration of cyanide. Some varieties of the yuca plants have very toxic roots and eating large quantites of the wrong one can make you very ill or even very dead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I think it makes me want to feed my family cassava root and sweet potato everyday."

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to know about the yuca leaves. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so easy for something so yummy! Do you think I could use coconut cream or just extra coconut milk instead of condensed milk to make a dairy free version? Thanks! Summer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think cococonut cream/coconut milk would work. Give it a try and please let me know how it turns out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried it and love it. However, I like my cake less chewy. Would you suggest reducing the tapioca starch to 1/8 cup? Thanks for all your post. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i tried 1/4 cup tapioca and 1/4 cup baking flour (any kind,) turned out less chewy and very yummy.

      Delete
  13. you can reduce the tapioca starch or leave it out if prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delish, without the condensed milk and I used glutinous rice flour instead of tapioca flour(all out). Did not put enough sugar(3/4c) though to make up for the sugar in the c. milk. I ended up sprinkling powdered sugar all over it to make up for it, tasted good and looked pretty :) Would probably use 1 1/3 c sugar next time. Thank you! Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound yummy,will do this today .however i would like to make Nem Chua for husband to "nhau".can't find one to make with Ham instead with Beef or Pork.Husband do not like me to make them with Raw meat .
      Thank you

      Delete
  15. Sound yummy,will try this desert today,however can you show me how to make Nem Chua make by Ham instead of Beef or Pork? Husband like "nhau" them with beer but do not like me to make them with Raw meat ,Thanks a bunch

    ReplyDelete
  16. When it's done baking, do you let it cool in the pan? Or do you take it out and put it on a plate or wire rack?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I usually let it cool down a bit then take it out from the baking pan. It's better if you leave it on a wire rack. Most of the time, my Banh khoai mi is gone before it's even cool down. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can I ask where you got your baking dish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the baking dish at Cost Plus World Market

      Delete
  19. Thank you Loan for the delicious recipe. I never imagined it is so easy to bake this cake at home. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello there,
    I happened to see your blog and I was hooked immediately. Thanks so much for sharing the info.
    I live in the Bay Area and hope to meet you and the girls sometíme.
    I also love to cook and gardening. I hope some day we can visit each other's garden and swap plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi An. We don't live too far away from each other. I would love to see what plants you have and swap them with you.

      Delete