Vietspices Search

Loading...

Friday, December 14, 2012

Mì Xào Tỏi (Garlic Noodles)


It seems that I have not been able to part from my laptop since I resumed blogging. There are so many delicious dishes that I want to share with everyone.  One of my favorite dish that I like to serve on holidays or parties is this flavorful buttery noodle with ample amount of  garlic.  Fragrant garlic sauteed with butter filled my kitchen with the smell of an Italian restaurant.  It didn't last that long once I added soy sauce however.

Garlic noodles is quick and easy to prepare.  When crab season comes around, we usually have crab feast and I would make a huge serving plate of garlic noodles to fill everyone's tummy.
 
Before taking on this role as a "Domestic Engineer", I worked in downtown Sacramento.  During lunch time, my coworker and I often strolled to a nearby noodle shop to buy fresh egg noodles.  It is a small shop that supplies a variety of egg noodles, produced by one elderly Chinese man standing on his feet all day turning out these wonderful egg noodles.   Now, it's a bit of a drive for me to get to downtown so I often make garlic noodles using dried spaghetti noodles from a bag instead.  Though the size of spaghetti noodle is smaller than the size of the egg noodle and the texture is quite different, they both taste yummy.  However, I would prefer the thick egg noodles for this garlic noodles dish. 

Today, I made garlic noodles tossed with shrimps for the girls to enjoy after school. They love eating the garlic noodles not just for the savor and flavor but it's fun for them to slurp each string of noodle.  It also gives their lips a lovely natural glossy sheen and a wonderful after taste with each licking of their lips!
*
RECIPE: Mì Xào Tỏi (Garlic Noodles)

Printable Recipe
 
*
Ingredients

 
2 bags (14 oz each) thick Egg Noodles or
1 lb Spaghetti Noodles
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Brown Sugar
4 tablespoons Europe Maggie Soy Sauce
1/2 stick of Butter
4 tablespoon finely chopped Garlic
1 bunch of Cilantro, finely chopped
1 lb large Shrimp, shelled and deveined, tail-on
*
Cooking Noodles

If used spaghetti noodles, boil noodles al dente according to instructions. Drain and set aside.

 
If used egg noodles, bring a pot of water to boil. Add the noodles into the boiling water and cook the noodles unitl al dente (cooked just enough to retain a somewhat firm texture). Don't overcook as the noodle will become soggy. Rinse noodles under cold water.  Drain and set aside.

*
Preparing Sauce

 
Combine soy sauce and brown sugar and mix well.  Set aside.
 

*
Stir Frying Shrimps

 
Bring a fry pan on high heat, add a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of garlic.  Saute until fragrant.   Add shrimps and cook quickly about 2 minutes. Remove  and set aside.

*
Stir Frying Noodles

 
Bring a frying pan on medium high heat, add the remaining butter and the remaining garlic.
Sautee until fragrant. Add the sauce and give it a quick stir. Add noodles.  Quickly toss the noodles to coat with sauce, garlic and butter for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the shrimps and cilantro.  Mix well.
 
 
*
Presentation

Transfer garlic noodles on a plate.   Enjoy it alone with a glass of Zinfandel. 

 
It also makes a great side dish next to dungeness crabs.
 
 
My girls are giving me thumbs up. 
*
Happy Holidays and May God Bless You and Your Family
Be Full and Be Safe!



13 comments:

  1. yummmm...this reminds me of Thanh Long restaurant in SF :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Thanks again for the inspiration! Can't wait for you to share more recipes with us. Your girls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, just had this for lunch at an Italian restaurant today :-)) the kids loved it. I got all the ingredients!! Will try to make it tomorrow, can't wait..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowie! This looks good! I gotta try this! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your back yard looks like a soccer field!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a great & simple recipe. I just made it and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a great recipe. Just made it for my family and it was delicious. Oh, I loooove you Banh bo nuong recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this for my husband and I yesterday, it was yummy, thanks for a great and easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished eating this and it is delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do we have to use maggi soy sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't have to use Maggie soy sauce. You can use any good soy sauce brands . Btw, if you like Parmesan cheese, after the garlic noodle is done , mix the garlic noodle with about a tablespoon of it. It tastes really good too.

    ReplyDelete