Vietspices Search

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Chè Khoai Môn Bột Báng (Taro Coconut Tapioca Pudding)


Waking up I suddenly realize that the room has become much colder than the previous mornings. I shiver as the crisp chilled air penetrated my body.  A peek outside my window and just like that I realize summer is gone!

Autumn promises a rich, vibrant season. During these days, I like to sit on a warm cozy chaise in my bedroom, enjoying the bountiful beauty surrounding my backyard. As the gentle breeze blows, I can hear the soothing harmonies of the wind chime hanging in front of my kitchen bay window and making me think of something sweet and warm to go along with my cup of hot green tea.



In just under 30 minutes, I can get back to my cozy lazy chaise with a cup of warm taro coconut pudding filled with the wonderful aroma of pandan leaves and vanilla.   Taro is a purple root vegetable that is used in Asian cuisines.  I love the starchy, sweet, and mild flavor of the purplish taro and even more so when it's served with a deliciously rich flavored coconut milk and chewy tapioca pearls which is the starch extracted from cassava root. 

Taro coconut pudding is very quick and simple to prepare.  My kitchen is always filled with frozen pandan leaves, vanilla, coconut milk, tapioca pearl, and frozen taro. Anytime I have a last minute craving or guests, I know what I can do in just a short amount of time.  
*
RECIPE: Taro Coconut Tapioca Pudding 
*
Ingredients


1 peeled Taro, about 2-2.5 pounds
1 can Coconut Milk, about 2 cups
1/4 cup Tapioca Pearls
1 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 tubes Vanilla
4-6 Pandan Leaves, tied in knots
*
Directions

Cutting Taro


Cut taro into small chunks. Set aside
*
Preparing Tapioca Pearls


Soak tapioca pearls in water while cooking taro.
*
Cooking Taro Pudding


In a pot, add 6 cups of water, knots of pandan leaves, and taro. Bring it to a boil. 

As soon as it's boiling, reduce the heat. Drain the tapioca pearls from the soaking water then add to the pot. Continue cooking for about 8-10 minutes until tapioca is almost translucent. The taro should be cooked by now. Make sure to stir occasionally while cooking to prevent tapioca from sticking to the bottom of the pot. 

Add coconut milk, salt and sugar. My dessert is usually mild sweet since I don't have a much of a sweet tooth, so adjust the sugar to your liking. Continue cooking for a couple more minutes. 

Turn off heat. Add vanilla powder. Stir it well. Let it sit for about 5 minutes or until tapioca completely translucent.

*
Presentation


Ladle the taro pudding into small bowls.  Serve it hot or cold and enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Hi! Can I skip adding the vanilla powder, or is it necessary?

    Thank you for your great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can skip the vanilla and use only the pandan leaves.

      Delete
  2. Got all ingredients including frozen pandan leaves, can't wait to try this recipe this weekend! I have vanilla sugar packets, that should work?

    A big fan of ur blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanilla sugar would work too. Eat for me please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Blog. Keep the recipes coming :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to use fresh taro and the outside was kinda crunchy?? Like suong suong.. Would frozen taro be better? I also made it with half the sugar since i wasn't craving anything too sweet. It was yummy! Thanks for posting Chi :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's best to use fresh taro. If it's sượng then you got a bad taro.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the recipe. Easy to make and tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made this recipe to enjoy in a cold day and it turns out so good, very tasty and not so sweet! Thank you very much! Love your website👌😍

    ReplyDelete